Kodi is a free and open source media player that has been created specifically for home entertainment. It has been available since 2002, and since then it has left an impression on everyone who streams and shares content at home. On its launch, it was known as the Xbox Media Player. In 2003, it became the Xbox Media Center, which remained until 2014 when it was renamed to Kodi. Kodi is the work of the XBMC Foundation which works behind the scenes to deliver the service.
Kodi is simply the most powerful software you should have if you’re a big fan of streaming movies, sports and TV shows. It is available for installation on different operating systems and hardware platform that are available in the market.
What is Kodi used for?
Kodi has a variety of uses. In all of them, it makes accessing music, movies and TV shows much easier because of its super friendly user interface. With Kodi, you can stream local content from your laptop, hard disk or smartphone to your big screen. Once you import the films, Kodi can add posters, fan art, trailers, video extras, and more to each item.
You can also use Kodi to watch Live TV. Various add-ons let you stream Live TV on your device, and so you can easily catch up with your favorite programs from various channels on Live TV. Kodi Live TV streaming is especially useful for sports enthusiasts, and it allows them not to miss any second of their favorite sports action.
Kodi is also useful for watching content on demand. There are hundreds of Kodi add-ons that allow you to watch your favorite TV shows, movies, and other videos whenever you need them.
How to install Kodi
Kodi is compatible with a huge number of platforms.
How to Install Kodi for Windows
There are two ways to install Kodi on Windows:
- In both, you first need to navigate to the official Kodi.tv download site.
- In the list of compatible platforms, select Windows.
- You will now have two options to install Kodi on your Windows PC.
If you choose ‘Windows Store,’ you will need to sign in with your Microsoft account in case you already haven’t. You can then click ‘Get the App’, and Kodi will install.
If you decide to get the executable file, just click “Installer.” It will automatically download. You can then run the installer.
After Kodi has finished installing, you can now launch and use it.
How to Install Kodi on MacOS
To install Kodi on your Mac:
- Navigate to the official Kodi.tv download site.
- In the list of compatible platforms, select Mac OS.
- Once the download of the installer is complete. Click twice on the downloaded file it will extract the necessary disk image
- Drag and drop the application into the Macs application folder if the Mac doesn’t prompt you to do so
- Once the above is done click and launch the Kodi application
Note: Your Mac might give you a notification that it does not allow you to launch app from unknown developers. If that happens, follow the following steps to disable it.
- Click the apple icon on the top left of the screen
- Go to ‘system preferences’ then security and privacy
- Then Click ‘Unlock’ on the left bottom corner of the screen
- Then click ‘’
You can then open your application and enjoy Kodi
How to Install Kodi on Android
There are two methods of installing Kodi on Android devices. The first one is by using the Google Play Store, and the other one is by downloading the apk and running it manually.
Using the google play store:
- Go to the Google Play Store using your android smartphone
- Type in Kodi on the search bar and search
- Click on to the first result which will be the Official Kodi app.
- Click on install and the download will start immediately
- After the download launch the application and start enjoying the app
Manual way of installation:
- First, you need to enable installation from ‘unknown sources’
- Go to the settings menu on your android smartphone and locate ‘’
- Enable installation from ‘unknown sources’
- Go to the official Kodi.tv download site and select Kodi for Android. The app will download.
- Install the application and allow it to run then enjoy Kodi
For Android TV boxes
There are also two methods of installing Kodi on Android TV just like in Android smartphones
If you have the Google Play Store installed on your Android TV the procedure of installing Kodi is quite simple. Follow the simple steps below:
- Open your Android TV Box and go to the google play store application and open it
- Go to the search bar and search for Kodi
- Click on install and the download will start immediately
- Go back to the menu and launch the Kodi app that has been installed
- You can then start enjoying Kodi
If for some reasons your Android TV box does not have google play installed then you can use the ES file explorer:
- On the TV, go to the settings menu then to system and the developer options
- Here you should be able to see how to turn on download from unknown sources
- Go back and start the ES Explorer application
- Once its open go to the Tools then to Download manager
- Click on new
- For the Name put Kodi
- Select on the option download now
- Kodi will be downloaded then install it
- Then launch the Kodi application
How to install Kodi add-ons?
Kodi add-ons are the power behind Kodi. If you are not familiar with them, they are the actual programs that let you access media from the internet.
You should however be a little careful with Kodi add-ons. Some of them are completely legal, while others are illegal. Most of the legal Kodi add-ons can be found on the Kodi store. This however doesn’t mean that all the other add-ons not on the store are illegal. Some are completely legal, and just have not had a chance to be added to the store.
However, others are illegal. What makes them illegal is the fact that they allow users to copyrighted content, which is illegal in itself.
This therefore calls for caution when installing Kodi add-ons. Neither BestDroidPlayer nor Kodi supports illegal use of Kodi but if you have to, we advise that you use a VPN to stay safe.
Installing an add-on the Official Kodi Repository
Getting an official add-on is quite straightforward. To simplify usage, the official Kodi add-on repo comes preinstalled with the Kodi app. You can add music and video add-ons from here, knowing that the content is legal and safe to use.
How to install add-ons from the official Kodi add-on repository:
- On the Kodi Home screen, click ‘Add-ons’.
- After you have installed the Repo, go back to the Kodi Main Menu.
- Select “Add-ons”.
- Click the open box icon at the top of the menu bar.
- Choose “Install from Zip File”.
- Select “Kodi Repo”.
- Install the file named zip
- Now wait for the installation to complete. To install add-ons from the Kodil repository:
- Go back to “Add-ons” and click the open box icon again.
- Choose “Install from repository”.
- Select the Kodil repo you just added. It should be at the top of the list under .www.Kodisrael.co.il Repository.
- Click “Video add-ons” near the bottom, then choose the add-ons you’d like to install.
- Each installed extension will appear on your Kodi main menu once complete.
If you have any kind of questions you can ask in the comment section 🙂